The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) oversees regulation of natural gas storage and transportation facilities.
U.S. Department of Energy – DOE; Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- Regulation of pipeline, storage, and liquefied natural gas facility construction.
- Regulation of natural gas transportation in interstate commerce.
- Issuance of certificates of public convenience and necessity to prospective companies providing energy services or constructing and operating interstate pipelines and storage facilities.
- Regulation of facility abandonment.
- Establishment of rates for services.
- Regulation of the transportation of natural gas as authorized by the NGPA (Natural Gas Policy Act) and the OCSLA (Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act).
- Oversight of the construction and operation of pipeline facilities at U.S. points of entry for the import or export of natural gas.